In an age where remote work is becoming increasingly common, the need for strong connections and effective communication among team members is essential for success. Virtual team building activities can help bridge the gap and foster camaraderie, collaboration, and creativity among remote teams. In this blog post, we will explore 25 creative Zoom team building games and activities that cater to a wide range of interests and preferences, providing a fun and engaging way to strengthen your remote team’s bond.
If you want to skip to the good part, our most favorite zoom team building games happens to be a ghost tour in Dracula’s old neighborhood in Romania, which is conducted via Zoom through Airbnb Online Experiences. You can bring your entire team both in office and remote, choose your date and time, then sit back and enjoy. It’s one of the most unique and entertaining zoom team building games we’ve seen. Thousands of individuals and team members from hundreds of great companies have said great things about this tour so far, check it out!
Table of Contents
Zoom Team Building Games – Key Takeaways
- Engage remote teams with creative Zoom team building games such as Two Truths and a Lie, Virtual Show and Tell, Quickfire Questions, Online Puzzle Race & DIY Craft Challenge.
- Have fun together through activities like Zoom Karaoke Party, Online Board Game Night & Virtual Costume Contest.
- Build relationships by engaging in collaborative learning experiences including Virtual Book Club, Remote Team Mastermind & Group Goal Setting.
Engaging Icebreakers for Zoom Team Building
Icebreakers serve as a valuable tool for enabling remote teams to familiarize themselves with one another. These activities can set the tone for a successful virtual team building event by encouraging team members to open up and share their experiences, interests, and personalities.
Our discussion begins with three engaging icebreakers suitable for your Zoom team building sessions: Two Truths and a Lie, Virtual Show and Tell, and Quickfire Questions.
Two Truths and a Lie
Two Truths and a Lie is a classic icebreaker game that can be played with large teams on a virtual platform. In this fun game:
- Each team member shares two true statements and one false statement about themselves.
- The rest of the team then tries to guess which statement is the lie.
- This activity not only sparks interesting conversations but also helps team members discover common interests or unique experiences they may share with their colleagues.
Maximize the effectiveness of this icebreaker by inspiring team members to think creatively and beyond the obvious with their statements. This will not only make the game more challenging but will also lead to more intriguing conversations and revelations about each other. Remember, the goal is to learn more about your remote team members and foster connections, so make it fun and engaging for everyone involved.
Virtual Show and Tell
Another great icebreaker for remote teams is Virtual Show and Tell. In this activity, team members take turns presenting an item from their home or workspace and telling a story related to it. The item could be:
- a favorite book
- a memento from a recent trip
- a work of art
- an object related to a hobby
- a family heirloom
This activity not only promotes connection and understanding among remote colleagues but also stimulates creativity and collaboration.
For a successful Virtual Show and Tell, urge team members to:
- Choose items that hold meaning and have the potential to ignite captivating conversations
- After each presentation, allow time for other team members to ask questions and engage in discussion about the item
- This will create opportunities for team members to learn more about each other’s backgrounds, interests, and experiences, ultimately fostering deeper connections among the team.
Quickfire Questions is a rapid-fire question-and-answer game that helps team members get to know each other better while encouraging active listening and engagement. In this high-energy game, participants take turns asking and answering questions, with the goal of fostering team camaraderie and learning more about their colleagues’ backgrounds, interests, and experiences.
The key to a successful Quickfire Questions session is to keep the pace fast and the questions engaging. Team members can prepare a list of questions in advance or come up with them on the spot. The questions can be work-related, personal, or a mix of both.
This virtual version of a classic game will not only help remote team members connect but also set the stage for a productive and enjoyable virtual team building event, featuring various virtual team building activities.
Creative Virtual Team Building Challenges
Creativity and problem-solving are essential components of effective team building. Next, we’ll delve into three virtual team building challenges designed to cultivate these skills and promote teamwork: the Online Puzzle Race, DIY Craft Challenge, and Virtual Office Olympics.
These activities will not only test your team’s problem-solving skills but also provide a fun and engaging way for remote team members to connect and collaborate.
Online Puzzle Race
The Online Puzzle Race is an exciting team building activity that challenges remote teams to compete against each other in solving puzzles and riddles. This virtual race tests problem-solving skills, teamwork abilities, and promotes healthy competition among team members. To play, simply select an online puzzle platform, divide your team into smaller groups, and start the race. The first team to complete the puzzle or pattern wins!
Some popular online games, such as The Word Search Race, Rubik’s Race, or even private races on platforms like Lichess, offer engaging puzzle challenges. These games can be adapted to suit the size and skill level of your team and can be easily incorporated into your virtual team building sessions.
The Online Puzzle Race is a great way to challenge your team’s problem-solving abilities and foster a sense of camaraderie.
DIY Craft Challenge
The DIY Craft Challenge is another creative virtual team building activity that encourages remote team members to tap into their artistic side. In this activity, each team member receives a craft kit and works together with their teammates to create a unique project. The goal is to promote creativity, collaboration, and friendly competition among team members.
To host a DIY Craft Challenge, follow these steps:
- Select a craft project that is suitable for all skill levels and can be completed within a set timeframe.
- Send each team member a craft kit containing the necessary materials and tools for the project.
- During the challenge, team members can collaborate via video call, sharing ideas, tips, and progress updates.
Once the projects are completed, teams can showcase their creations and even vote for their favorites. The DIY Craft Challenge is a fun and engaging way to bring remote team members together and foster team spirit.
Virtual Office Olympics
Virtual Office Olympics is a series of virtual challenges and games designed to foster friendly competition and team bonding among remote team members. This activity can be easily adapted to suit the size and preferences of your team, with a variety of virtual games and challenges available to choose from.
Some popular virtual fun games and activity ideas include word scramble, lightning scavenger hunts, Olympics trivia, song guessing game, and relay races.
To organize a successful Virtual Office Olympics, simply select a series of games and challenges, divide your team into smaller groups, and let the games begin! This activity encourages teamwork, communication, and friendly competition, making it an excellent addition to your virtual team building event.
Fun and Interactive Zoom Games
In addition to creative challenges and collaborative learning experiences, fun and interactive Zoom games can also be an excellent way to engage and entertain remote teams. Next, we’ll consider three entertaining Zoom games perfect for livening up your virtual team building sessions: Zoom Karaoke Party, Online Board Game Night, and Virtual Costume Contest.
These favorite team building games provide an enjoyable and engaging way for remote team members to connect and have fun together with various team building games.
Zoom Karaoke Party
A Zoom Karaoke Party is a fun and engaging way for remote team members to let loose and bond over their favorite tunes. In this activity, team members take turns singing their favorite songs in a virtual karaoke session, encouraging fun and camaraderie.
To host a successful Zoom Karaoke Party, simply follow these steps:
- Schedule a virtual meeting.
- Invite your team members.
- Prepare a playlist of popular karaoke songs.
- Participants can take turns singing or performing their favorite songs.
- Others can cheer them on and enjoy the show.
A Zoom Karaoke Party is a great way to break the ice and foster a sense of team spirit among remote team members.
Online Board Game Night
Online Board Game Night is an innovative approach to team building that allows remote teams to connect and engage in friendly competition through online board games. This activity promotes teamwork and camaraderie while providing a fun and relaxed atmosphere for team members to bond and unwind.
To participate in Online Board Game Night, organize a group video call and select an online game to play. Popular websites like jackbox.tv or apps such as Mario Kart Tour, Trivia on Houseparty, Monopoly, and Drawful 2 offer multiplayer options. Alternatively, you can use platforms like Discord or Roll20 to stream a screen and play board games remotely.
Online Board Game Night is a great way to bring remote team members together and foster a sense of camaraderie and friendly competition.
Virtual Costume Contest
A Virtual Costume Contest is a creative and entertaining way for remote team members to express their creativity and build team spirit. In this activity, team members dress up in costumes and participate in a virtual contest, showcasing their unique and imaginative outfits.
To host a Virtual Costume Contest, follow these steps:
- Set a date and time for the contest.
- Select a video platform to host the event, such as Zoom or Microsoft Teams.
- Invite participants and provide instructions on how costumes will be judged, such as creativity, originality, or audience applause.
- Encourage participants to dress up in their costumes and join the video call.
- During the contest, participants can showcase their creations and engage in friendly competition.
A Virtual Costume Contest is a fun and engaging way to foster creativity and team bonding among remote team members.
Collaborative Learning Experiences
Collaborative learning experiences can be an effective way to promote communication skills, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills among remote team members. By engaging in shared learning activities, teams can grow together and develop a deeper understanding of each other’s strengths and areas of expertise.
Next, we’ll discuss three collaborative learning experiences ideal for your Zoom team building sessions, which are great zoom team building ideas: Virtual Book Club, Online Skill Share, and Remote Team Mastermind.
Virtual Book Club
A Virtual Book Club is an excellent way for remote team members to engage in shared learning and foster critical thinking, communication, and collaboration. In this activity, team members:
- Read and discuss a book together
- Provide an opportunity to expand their knowledge
- Exchange ideas
- Learn from each other’s perspectives
To establish a successful Virtual Book Club, follow these steps:
- Select a book that is of interest to the team.
- Set a reading schedule.
- Schedule virtual meetings for team members to discuss the book, share their insights, and ask questions. This can be done using video conferencing platforms like Zoom, Skype, or Google Hangouts.
A Virtual Book Club not only promotes critical thinking and communication but also fosters a sense of shared learning and camaraderie among remote team members.
Online Skill Share
Online Skill Share is a platform that allows team members to exchange skills and knowledge, promoting individual and organizational development. In this activity, team members take turns teaching a skill or sharing knowledge with the group, fostering personal and professional growth.
To participate in Online Skill Share, team members can:
- Select a skill or topic they are knowledgeable about
- Prepare a short presentation or demonstration
- Host the session via video call
- Allow team members to learn from each other and ask questions in real-time.
Online Skill Share is an excellent way for remote team members to broaden their horizons, cultivate relationships, and collaborate in a supportive learning environment.
Remote Team Mastermind
Remote Team Mastermind is a game that encourages collaboration among teams to resolve complex issues or generate new ideas, enhancing critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork. In this activity, teams collaborate to solve complex problems or brainstorm ideas, promoting critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork.
To play Remote Team Mastermind, follow these steps:
- Select a complex problem or idea to tackle as a team.
- Divide your team into smaller groups and assign tasks, such as research, brainstorming, or project planning.
- Schedule regular check-ins and progress reports to ensure that all team members are on track and collaborating effectively.
Remote Team Mastermind is an excellent way to foster teamwork, communication, and critical thinking among remote team members.
Building Stronger Connections Among Remote Teams
Building stronger connections among remote team members is essential for maintaining a positive work environment and improving overall team performance. Lastly, we’ll share some activities designed to strengthen connections among remote team members, such as Virtual Coffee Chats, Remote Teammate Interviews, and Group Goal Setting.
These activities can help remote teams overcome the challenges of distance and isolation, fostering a sense of camaraderie, collaboration, and shared purpose.
Virtual Coffee Chats
Virtual Coffee Chats are an informal way for remote team members to catch up and bond with each other. These casual virtual coffee breaks, also known as virtual coffee break sessions, provide an opportunity for team members to connect, share experiences, and engage in light-hearted conversation.
To organize Virtual Coffee Chats, simply follow these steps:
- Schedule a regular time for team members to join a video call.
- Encourage participants to bring their favorite beverage to the chat.
- Share updates about your lives and discuss work-related topics.
- Engage in fun team building activities like trivia games or icebreaker questions.
Virtual Coffee Chats can help remote team members stay connected, reduce feelings of isolation, and foster a sense of camaraderie and belonging.
Remote Teammate Interviews
Remote Teammate Interviews are an excellent way for team members to learn more about their colleagues and foster deeper connections. In this activity, team members interview each other to learn more about their backgrounds, interests, and experiences.
To conduct Remote Teammate Interviews, follow these steps:
- Pair up team members and have them take turns asking and answering questions about their lives, work experiences, and interests.
- These interviews can be conducted via video call.
- Team members can prepare a list of questions in advance or come up with them on the spot.
Remote Teammate Interviews can help team members gain a better understanding of their colleagues and build stronger connections within the team.
Group Goal Setting
Group Goal Setting is an effective way for remote teams to work together in setting and tracking shared goals, promoting collaboration, accountability, and a sense of shared purpose. In this activity, remote teams collaborate to set goals, break them down into smaller objectives, and assign tasks to team members.
To implement Group Goal Setting, follow these steps:
- Schedule a virtual meeting for team members to discuss their goals, identify challenges, and brainstorm solutions.
- Encourage open communication and collaboration throughout the process.
- Establish deadlines for each task.
Group Goal Setting can help remote teams stay focused, motivated, and united in their pursuit of shared objectives.
In conclusion, virtual team building activities play a crucial role in fostering connections, collaboration, and camaraderie among remote team members. By engaging in activities such as icebreakers, creative challenges, interactive games, and collaborative learning experiences, remote teams can overcome the challenges of distance and isolation, building a strong and cohesive team. Give these 25 creative Zoom team building games a try and watch your remote team thrive.
Frequently Asked Questions
What games can you play team building on Zoom?
Team building on Zoom can be an enjoyable experience for everyone involved. Popular activities include lightening scavenger hunts, guess the emoji board, virtual coffee breaks, online murder mystery, company game show, charades, the drawing challenge, and online office debates.
What are 5 cool games to play on Zoom?
Playing Codenames, Bingo Maker, Heads UP, Not All Bad Cards, Playing Cards.io, Scribble and Categories, or Zoom Charades are all great choices for Zoom games with friends.
How do you play zoom team building?
Zoom team building involves playing activities like icebreaker questions, bingo, scavenger hunts, virtual escape rooms, scattergories, this or that?, trivia nights, and online charades. With a wide variety of games to choose from, you can have fun and bond with your team on Zoom.
What are the benefits of virtual team building activities?
Virtual team building activities can reduce stress and burnout, boost engagement and productivity, and show employees that their well-being is valued.
Can large teams participate in virtual team building games?
Yes, large teams can participate in virtual team building games by breaking up into smaller groups or using breakout rooms.